Sunday, September 10, 2017

Inertia

If you search on Google for the word "inertia" you get what I think is one of the best descriptions of my efforts on this blog that I could have hoped for.




I was going to use the second definition as a nice science-y segue, but that first one is just too perfect. It's clearly been some months since I wrote anything here and I'd be surprised if anyone is looking closely enough to notice a new entry, but oh well, you don't know until you try and I think this is a good opportunity to practice what you preach. As I tell my kids, you've got to keep trying.

A few days ago I signed up for a table at The Champlain Mini-Maker Faire in Shelburne, Vermont. I'm going out on a limb a bit on this one, because I've never really done this sort of thing on my own. I've followed along with RANV, one of the local amateur radio groups, and we've never missed one since they started having them, but I've never really tried to contribute. I've always had ideas about what the event needs, but never really gave them a try. This year, I decided to give it a go. If accepted (I haven't heard back yet), I intend to have a Maker Fails table. When you go to these events, you end up seeing some amazing things. There's lots of beautiful art, and finished projects. Some items for sale, some just for display, but generally polished and presentable work. What you don't see is the time, hard work, frustration, late nights, and sometimes foul language that goes into making that piece. I thought it'd be good to change that a bit. I've got plenty of unfinished and non-functional stuff laying around. Some of it could be resurrected or completed, but generally it's a mess in my shop. I've started asking around to local groups too and intend to do more of that. I hope that I can get across the message that persistence is as important a skill as soldering, welding, woodworking, or any other of the many things we practice to pursue the crafts we love.

This morning my wife wanted to go back to the South End Art Hop. We'd gone on Friday night but the weather was terrible. We got soaked. Today was a lovely day so the we took the two harmonics (ham-speak for kids) back down to Pine St. to wander around. We found the local cardboard pinball purveyors and decided to pop in for some light corrugated fun.We ended up talking to Pete Talbot, one of the creators of the PinBox 3000 and I pitched him the idea of the Maker Fail table. He thought it was a great idea and even showed me one of the original PinBox designs! I took some pictures but I'm saving that for Maker Faire! He's a great guy, and it was a great chat. They'll be down in NYC for the World Maker Faire this year, so if you're down there, stop by and say hi.

So that's what I'm working on for Maker Faire. The semi-autonomous steam octopod will have to wait for next year.

Oh yeah, I finally got a Bitx40 on the air. I'm
listening to the Hurricane Watch Net talk about Hurricane Irma down in Florida. Keep safe if you're down in the path of the storm!

73 de KB1VNA
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment